Safe Amalgam Removal
Having a silver filling removed exposes you to mercury vapor. When you have this procedure performed in a mercury-safe environment, your exposure is drastically reduced.
As a SMART certified member of the IAOMT(International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology), I have been trained on how to remove amalgam silver fillings safely, in order to protect the patient, the assistant, and everybody present at the dental office. See the link "office handout about SMART"on the bottom of the page to get more information about SMART(safe mercury amalgam removal technique).
Safe Amalgam Removal Protocol is Detailed Below:
1. We give the patient a rinse with activated charcoal or chlorella before and after the procedure
2. The patient wears a transparent oxygen mask ,eye protection,a bib,a disposable and impermeable gown and a cap during the procedure.
3. Use a Latex free rubber dam and Nitrile gloves
4. Use a high-volume suction aspirator over the rubber dam and a low suction aspirator under the rubber dam during the removal
5. Cut the amalgam into chunks and keep the fillings cool during removal
6. Use air vacuum during the removal
7. Air purifier and ionizer in the office good for 3000 sq ft
8. Remove gloves and clean the patient’s mouth
9. Immediately clean up
7. Apply ozone gas over the tooth before the appropriate restoration is placed
Once the amalgam is remove we use a BPA free composite recommend by the IAOMT. Read about the composite we use
You can see in the picture below the attire that we use for us and for the patient. The oxygen mask is transparent. We protect us and our patients.